If you've been following healthcare in the news at all, you've probably seen the phrase chronic care management (CCM) quite a bit lately. Here's why: Starting in January, and for the first time ever, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will be reimbursing doctors for offering CCM services to their eligible Medicare patients.
Who is eligible?
Eligible patients are described as Medicare beneficiaries with two or more chronic conditions. While CMS doesn't define what conditions are covered, the most common health conditions are typically diabetes, COPD, hypertension, cancer, and others. More than 90% of what Medicare spends every year goes toward the patients with these (very common) conditions.
Studies done around CCM and care coordination programs have proven, time and again, that they work, the patients get healthier (or are able to prevent disease), and ultimately, money is saved. Until now, though, doctors have never really been compensated for offering these proactive services, so CCM programs have always been the exception, rather than the rule.
Why you want CCM
It probably seems like a no-brainer, but there are dozens of reasons why you should be excited about receiving chronic care management services. I am just going to list a few here, for now.
- All of your healthcare providers will have access to your relevant health information, even if they are in different health systems
- A care plan that you can use
- Better health
- Save money
What does CareSync have to do with CCM?
Well, that's a great question. Care coordination is at the core of what we do at CareSync. We started out with a goal to be the best family health record. We quickly realized how much help people need when it comes to managing health (and illness), so we added our team of trained Health Assistants who collect medical records, and make them useful and easy to understand. We've added features to our web, iPhone & Android app to help families work together to manage caregiver duties for an aging parent, or collaborate around the care for a loved one. And now we're helping doctors offer the best chronic care management solution to their patients.
With CareSync CCM, you get:
- A single, comprehensive Care Plan
- A phenomenal web, iPhone, and Android app for care coordination
- 24/7/365 access to a clinical Health Assistant for chronic care issues
- Medical appointment scheduling for routine and referral appointments
- All of your various providers are in the know regarding your care
- A single, accurate medication list with reminders to stay on track
- Tools to track how you're feeling, pain, mood, weight, blood pressure...the list goes on
If you think you might be eligible for the new Medicare CCM, or are interested in learning more, let us know by clicking here. We will work with your provider to help them offer you these great services at little to no cost for you.