Nothing is more important than your health, but miscommunications in healthcare cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives every year. Why?
- Standards Shortcomings. The Meaningful Use program was intended to make data shareable between providers and patients, but so far, most data has been kept in closed EHR platforms, according to an article by FierceEMR.
- Data Integrity. Differences in the way data is stored can cause issues such as omission, misuse, and misinterpretation of data during electronic exchanges (another great FierceEMR article).
- It's a Decade Away. The Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) for Health Information Technology has a 10-year vision to achieve interoperability.
- There's No You in HIE. The focus of Health Information Exchanges (HIEs) is to give authorization for providers, labs, and facilities to exchange your data, but "few HIEs currently offer patients the ability to view their data" (EHR Intelligence, 2013).
- Overwhelmed Providers. Your doctor has many things to manage, even more with difficult new rules and penalties. And sharing data can be costly: Providers are typically charged around $5,000 for each connection from their EMR--even to connect to others using the same EMR brand (Modern Healthcare, 2013).
- Security Challenges. To make sure your data is safe, the rules require secure exchanges of information. Doctors typically accept messages only through their EMR patient portals, and many don't accept electronic correspondence at all.
- Your Valuable Information Is Missing. Wearables, pain scales, symptom trackers, journals, and other data going into your smartphone apps are an important part of your medical story. Family members and caregivers often have the most valuable information on a patient, but no place to share it outside the visit.
The only way to be at the center of your medical story is to carry your medical story. Tweet this! If it is fixed in the predicted ten years, your records for visits today may not be accessible.
CareSync users take responsibility for their medical data by getting their histories, adding to them with valuable patient and caregiver information, and sharing meaningful health stories with their families and providers.
The CareSync application is free on the Web, iOS, and Android. Don't have time? Set up your account in three minutes and let our concierge services do all the work for you--no paperwork, no scanning, no hassles.