Admit it. You've done it before. You've mentally prepared yourself for your visit with the doctor, just to forget everything you wanted to discuss once he walks into the room. Or, you've gone over everything, just to forget it once you leave the office.
It's okay, you're not alone. More than half of patients leave medical visits confused, unsure of the provider's instructions, and that makes it really difficult to follow through with the care plan.
We get it, and that's why we built CareSync's Visit Manager™. You get more from each and every provider appointment with access to information, task lists to manage your visit goals and questions, and notes and journals to document care plans and voice record provider instructions.
Whether you're managing a chronic condition, or just trying to get over this season's bug, the more you take away from your limited time with your provider, the better your chances of following the care plan. And getting healthier. And saving money. And avoiding more appointments. You get the point.
7 Tips for Getting More from your Medical Visits
- When scheduling, let the scheduler know what you're coming in for. Otherwise, you'll likely be squeezed into a 5-10 minute slot that leaves you feeling rushed and unable to accomplish your goals.
- Goals? Yep. Set goals for your visit, including tasks, questions, and anything else you hope to achieve during your limited time with your provider. Like having an agenda in a meeting, your visit goals help keep you on track when talking with your provider.
- Keep a list of your questions. As your questions for the provider come to mind, add them to Visit Manager, directly within the appointment, to have them organized in one place.
- Share relevant health information with your provider. Ahead of time. We like to fax our health summary information to our providers the night before a visit, directly from Visit Manager. It gives the provider an opportunity to look at current, relevant health information, and ultimately, make the best decisions to help you get better.
- Bring your insurance card and other important documents. Or even better, snap a photo of your insurance card, and add it to your CareSync documents and attach it to the appointment so you always have it available. This also comes in handy if you break your foot at an out-of-state-marathon...it's been known to happen.
- Don't be afraid to ask for clarifications or for things to be explained again. Remember...more than half of us leave not knowing what to do. Ask your provider to repeat himself, or even better, ask him if you can use CareSync's voice recorder to record his care plan and treatment recommendations, so they are available once you leave the appointment, and to share with your family and care team.
- Get your records after the visit. Whether you request a copy of the visit's record on your way out, or rely on the CareSync Plus team to collect and enter it for you, make sure that you receive a copy and get it into your CareSync record...it is part of your health story.
While every medical visit is different, there is one thing remains the same. Being prepared for your limited time with the provider results in a better experience, and ultimately, better outcomes. If you haven't downloaded it yet, Visit Manager is free, and is available for iPhone, Android, and online at caresync.com.